Sunday, March 8, 2009

Unicorn Cafe

For the first day of adventure Rachael and I got an ambitious start at 11am. When getting a late start to the day there is only one establishment I think of: Little Red Bike Cafe. But since we were in a new city, it was time to try new things, so we walked to the Unicorn Cafe. Now I have a serious case of the snotty Portland attitude that we have THE BEST coffee shops, so I wasn't expecting much. But take a look for yourself:
Looks pretty great, doesn't it?

I ordered a latte and a Turkey Sandwich with basil, cheddar, and mayo. In the meantime I scoped out the place and fell in love with this sign:


I really, really liked the Flagon of latte, I definitely felt like a medieval knight drinking from the glass, I guess that falls into the Unicorn theme. The only problem was that it made the drink go tepid faster. The coffee was surprisingly good and even had a touch of latte art, not the easiest thing to do with that tall, narrow vessel.

The cantaloupe needs its own paragraph. It was EXCELLENT; sweet, juicy, and a little tangy. (Who knew Chicago had good produce.)

The thing that really let me down? NO KETCHUP!?!?!? The shock and horror. Everyone knows that I am the condiment king. And while I can't expect every establishment to cater to my desires. I feel like ketchup is mainstream enough condiment (even for the mid-west) for grilled cheese sandwiches. I mean it would certainly have me coming back more, and it has natural mellowing agents.

But the real problem came with the sandwich. I was expecting to be shot to the moon and only got to low orbit. By no means was the sandwich bad, it just didn't "bring the thunder". The bread was dry, and added little to the experience, the turkey was tasteless and left me wanting and in the end I felt like I could reproduce this in a dorm room.

No comments: