Monday, September 11, 2006

BIG weekend


It's monday and I don't want to write my ethics paper, even though I have a SA-WEET outline, and the tutorial leader liked it.

I guess I should start with last Wednesday. We decided that instead of having two community meals that week, it would be great just to have one big huge lavish event. The menu was pasta with pesto, salad, garlic bread..........and of course WINE. The silly thing down here is that it is legal to go out and drink, it is legal to come home drunk, but it is not ok to drink in the dorm(per Notre Dome rules).......that is unless it is approved. The girls wanted to make it a special night, so everyone was required to dress up. I think judging from the picture at right that Jenny and I pretty much win........so hot the robot

We also had several guests come over all the Resident Supervisors from the two other dorms. Can we say ridiculous?

So everyone had a lovely time and of course the wine was flowing (the red was much better than the white.....which wasn't chilled grrrrr I guess one can;t complain when it was pretty much the cheapest stuff). But it was nice because everyone stayed around and hung out instead of running off to do homework. So I was slightly buzzed and then Julianne tells me that we need to go do the History project that was due Friday, basically I was no help for the first 20 minutes as I was spooning her roommate Jenny, and Lauren on the floor.........But I made up for it later.

Friday we turned in the project and I was asked to go to a tea for the wife of the new US Ambassador to Western Australia. Oh how I love forced social situations. I mean we all stood around in our little groups and the adults would come over and talk for like 5 minutes and then they were off to other people. Basically all the college kids stood around and ate the super fancy food like a pack of animals. (but I really do love bagels with cream cheese and salmon, yum!)

After the tea was the briefing for the Broome trip, which I am officially SUPER-stoked for. Finally, a chance to go experince the Outback, after watching it on animal shows for years. Basically everything we see can kill us. From spiders, to snakes, to baby sharks, to stone fish. But it will be great to be out away from everything and actually be there with an aboriginal family, that basically knows EVERYTHING about how to survive out there. The guy who was leading the orientation was Simon Adams, the dean of the School of Arts and Sciences, who has the most wonderful sense of bitter british humor, mixed with slapstick college-kid humor. My favorite passage goes like this, "Now, I've promised one of my former students to always say this before you go to Broome. If you think that you are of the more chesty type.......then it is wise to perhaps pack a sports bra for the 4-wheel drive to the campsite........................................STRAP THAT LOAD DOWN."

Friday night a big group of us went out to Caesar's and Italian food place that was gorgeous with ceilings that looked like the night sky and unique walls. We ate with the Port Lodge boys and it was really good food, except it seemed a little weird to be eating Chicken Parmesan with "chips" (French Fries). Its like a cross-cultural experiment gone wrong. The Italians were ambushed by McDonalds.

We came home and watched Shakespeare in Love......Basically every movie we watch down here is a chick flick, but its so rewarding to just feel the same things with all the girls and kick back, instead of runninng at mach 3.

Saturday we went to the Aquarium. Which was exciting to be up at 8 am on a weekend. We got to see sharks being fed and a ton of different poisonous fish, and the infamous poisonous Stingrays. Afterwards we came home and I took a 3 hour nap.

Wait for installment number two of the BIG weekend....

No comments: