Saturday, September 2, 2006

Love me tender


Let's see what has been going on down in the land of Australia. I guess the most fulfilling thing for me personally was when I went out to the Sail and Anchor with Patty (an environmental science major, with a quirky sense of humor, and life-long attendee of catholic school) and sarah (a biology major, more organized than mom, super religious to the point that she uses the word "crud" instead of crap) (PS> it is super funny to see a girl who has never touched a drop of alcohol, get buzzed off a glass of wine) anyway............we were sitting in the sail and anchor a bar with a second floor veranda that looks out on the cap strip (yeah, bars are pretty freaking nice here) We (patty and I) had been endeavoring to get this dark beer called "dogbater" or something to that nature...........but the bar stopped accepting overseas driver;s licenses, because they had been busted for underagers the week before, so we had to walk all the way back to the dorm to get our passports. Then we went and got our beer, which was pretty tasty (must be the NW blood, I just found out that Oregon has more microbreweries per capita than Germany, YAY go us) But we were chilling in the red room and these two girls came up and sat next to us.......Eventually we started talking, and they could tell we were americans (Damn the proper NW accent with out an accent) but we got into politics, and we all agreed that George W. and John Howard (the PM of Australia) were "dickheads" as they so elegantly put it. Needless to say we hit it off well. The thing about it down here is that not everyone goes to Uni, so the ones that do are rich, and have this certain air of I'm better than you. (generalization, I know) But its really off-putting, Like I seriously have had a major lacking of good conversations with australians. Which is annoying because that is why I came down here. So they were neat, and spunky and we exchanged numbers and have plans to go to Thai food on Tuesday.

Speaking of thai food, I think I am addicted.........why is curry so freaking good? Today I went out to lunch with Meghan (a fellow nursing major, and redhead, perhaps my favorite baptist, as in she never is brainwashed and is the most confident and determined person) It was a little cafe like 2 blocks away, and for $8 I can get a coconut curry soup with chicken, that is delightful. Fremantle has this culture of sidewalk eating, that is so european and beautiful.

Today we went to watch the Dockers (the local Australian Footy Team play) 41,000 people in attendance with Freo winning by something like 150 to 60. I sat in front of a family from Notre Dame US, doing an exchange over here, he is the accounting teacher and they all live in south Bend. It was quite a fn game to watch, and see the pride that these people have,. not to mention the outright skill that Footy players have, to be able to run for 2 hours.

No comments: